Friday 1 September 2017

Descriptive writing


We have been learning to use language features in our writing. We have looked at a some examples of similes and metaphors. We have also been looking at carefully selecting senses that will effectively take a reader to the setting. We read this description from the Wizard of OZ and the students wrote a similar description on one of the above photos.

Here are a few sentences from their descriptions.

Antony(Desert) -   The fiery sphere in the sky brings a yellow glow like a candle in a dark room.

Bonnie (Snow) - Up ahead the clearing was filled with radiating golden light. Pine trees topped with snow, glistened in the early morning glow. Hard ice crunched underfoot as I walked. Long tree limbs reached down to me as I ambled underneath them. Every now and then there was a small thud as a pile of snow tumbled off a branch, and hit the soft ground below.

Finn (Desert) - Scorching wind scratched across my damaged lips as I trudged through the barren wasteland. The ground cracked beneath me, making my walking jagged and uneven. Sun rays cast a orange glow to the looming mountain ahead, making the land seem tinged with orange fire.

Lola (Snow) - Withering pines stoop over the blanketed ground, like an old woman, all hunched over.

Jack E (Snow) - The last smear of light disappears behind the snow covered branches.

Ewan (Forest) - The forest was doused with an everlasting shower of rain. 

Ieuan (Desert) - I can taste sand in my mouth a gritty stoney mixture of glass and rock I spit out as much as I can and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment